Well what if it doesn’t work?
The treatments available for heart disease are 60% effective. If you had heart disease would you try all the treatments available? I’m guessing your answer is yes. What have you got to lose right?
 
Many medical treatments have less than 50% successful outcomes, yet we still go to doctors because even a 20% chance at better health would be better than doing nothing at all. Your mental and emotional health should be no different.

Treatments for mild to severe depression are 80% effective, for those who follow the treatment regimen. You have an 80% chance of being depression free! Many of the remaining 20% had more manageable symptoms than before treatment too.

(Statistics courtesy of the Center for Disease Control)

I don’t want to just think differently, thinking differently doesn’t make my problems go away.
You are absolutely right! Thinking differently won’t make your problems disappear. That’s why thinking differently is only a small portion of treatment. In therapy you will also learn how to problem solve and approach your problems with actual solutions.
 
Depression lowers your thinking speed, problem solving ability, and concentration. This is why coming to a professional is so helpful, they can help you to see things you have been completely blind to.

I don’t want to talk about my feelings, that won’t change anything.
Besides my feelings are silly/unimportant/not the problem.
Have you ever wondered why you have feelings at all? What is the point? Our emotions are what help us navigate relationships, protect ourselves, choose spouses and careers, and make our existence meaningful.

Even anger is a useful emotion. It drives us to communicate with others in order to repair breaches in the relationship. With anger comes hope. You express anger because you have some degree of hope that the other person and problems you share can be resolved.

Talking about your feelings is often how we professionals figure out what psychological needs are going unmet.

Once we have that figured out, let the problem solving and restoration begin!
 

DEPRESSION TREATMENT

Many people who struggle with depression are overwhelmingly convinced they are not depressed and should just “suck it up.” After all depression means you are sad and just want to cry all the time right? WRONG


People who struggle with depression are often unaware that the issues they are struggling with are related to clinical depression. Some of the hallmark signs and symptoms are:

 

Jennifer R Davis, MA, Marriage and Family Therapist

925-298-7172

  • Changes in appetite
  • Poor concentration
  • Lack of motivation
  • Low attention towards normal hygiene (i.e. brushing teeth, showering, getting dressed, etc.)
  • Anger or frustration
  • Frequently asking off of work
  • Reduced ability to express or perceive emotions

Those are just a few. Depression can look very different from one person to another.

The fact you are reading this is likely because you or someone you love has been really struggling and you don’t understand why. If that is the case and you or a loved one is experiencing even one of these symptoms, it’s time to get some relief.

CALL FOR APPOINTMENT

Profound impact therapy

  • Apathy towards daily routines, relationships, work, and/or hobbies
  • Feelings of guilt
  • Hopelessness
  • Being irritable (may be more noticeable to your loved ones)
  • Low energy
  • Feeling worthless
  • Sleeping more or less than normal